- BA, International Studies, University of Wisconsin – Madison
- MDiv, Church & Society, Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York
- DMin, Transformational Leadership, Boston University School of Theology (anticipated 2020)
Jason Storbakken is a storyteller, radical theologian, and instructional designer. He is pastor at Manhattan Mennonite Fellowship, a spiritual community oriented toward peace and social justice, non-violent resistance, and faith formation as key themes of their Christian witness.
He served for many years as the Director of Chapel and Compassionate Care at the Bowery Mission, where he provided pastoral care to New Yorkers experiencing homelessness; currently, he designs and supports the implementation of their curriculum.
In 2011 Jason was ordained by the Mennonite Church USA. He earned a Master of Divinity at Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York. And currently he is a Doctor of Ministry student at Boston University School of Theology. He loves the mystics, the early Mothers and Fathers of the Church, poetry, and music from across faith traditions and cultures.
Storytelling, either from the pulpit or around the campfire, as well as through various forms of digital media, is his passion. He has written books and articles for publications as far-ranging as Forbes and Rolling Stone . His imagination is geared toward the cosmic; he’s an amateur astronomer; and his favorite comic book hero is Silver Surfer. Jason has been featured as a ministry leader in the New York Times, New York Press, and other publications.
Jason and Vonetta have been married for more than ten years. Together they and their two children (and their Havanese puppy named Bertha) live in a brownstone in Brooklyn.
- Last Stop on the Z Train (2019)
- Bowery Mission: Grit and Grace on Manhattan’s Oldest Street (Plough, 2019)
- Radical Spirituality: Repentance, Resistance, Revolution (Orbis, 2014)
Articles featuring Jason
- Brooklyn Kids Learn Sustainable Living and Urban Farming (BK Reader)
- New York City Skateboarders Receive a Blessing (Mennonite World Review)
- Sharing the Faith, Splitting the Rent (New York Times)
- Bowery Mission Residents Photograph Their Lives (Gothamist)
- Roommates for Jesus (New York Press)
- Boys of the Bowery (Wisconsin State Journal)